In 1991, the Base Realignment and Closure Commission recommended that the Williams Air Base close its doors. Two years later in 1993, it became a reality and the former Air Base began its search for a new identity. A plan was developed to transform the base to be an aerospace center and an educational, research and training facility with the airport serving as a reliever to Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport. Currently, aviation uses include commercial passenger service, aircraft manufacturing, maintenance, modification, air cargo operations and flight training. In 2008, the former base became the Phoenix Mesa Gateway Airport.
In 1942, the facility was named Williams Field in honor on Charles Linton Williams, an Arizona born pilot. Williams Air Force Base became the premier pilot training facility, graduating more student pilots and instructors than any other base supplying 25 percent of the Air Force’s pilots. During its history, more than 26,500 men and women earned their wings at Williams Field.
More than 35 companies operate at Phoenix Mesa Williams Gateway complex contributing to the east valley economy. A significant addition was the decision by Allegiant Air to establish a new base in the valley of the sun in 2007. Allegiant Air now serves 28 destinations including the recent addition of Minot, ND to its flight itineraries.
Phoenix Mesa Gateway Airport provides a fantastic opportunity for visitors and second homes owners to access the east valley.
Real estate information can be found at East Valley Real Estate.